To provide for the erection and operation of tool-gates and for masters incidental thereto and connected therewith.
Enacted by the Assembly:
1. This Act may be cited as the Toll-Gates Act 1976
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires
"toll-gate" means a bar palced across a road to prevent passage by a vehicle until the tax has been paid; and
"vehicle" shall have the meaning assigned to it in the Road Traffic and Transport Order 1970.
3. (1) The Minister may cause toll-gates to be erected at such places within Lesotho as he deems fit,
(2) No vehicles shall pass through a toll-gate until the taxhas been paid or unless exemption has been granted by the Minister.
(3) Any person who drives a vehicle through a toll-gate in contravention of sub-section (2) is guilty of an offence and shall liable on conviction to a fine of fifty rand or imprisonment for three months.
4. There shall be levied, and charged on each vehicle passing through a toll-gate a tax at a rate to be specified in the regulations,
5. The Minister may make regulations for the better carrying out of the provisions or objects of this Act and, in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provision, may make regulations with respect to any of the following matters:-
(a) the tax to be charged per vehicle;
(b) the cost and issue of season tickets;
(c) the exmption of certain owners of vehicles from payment of the tax; and
(d) the manner or collecting fees in respect of the tax.